James Gunn is back on Guardians of the Galaxy 3.
Disney has reinstated the director after his high-profile firing from the Marvel movie last summer. Gunn was sacked after social media posts he'd made between 2008 and 2012 resurfaced and caused online outrage.
News of Gunn's rehiring was first reported Friday by Deadline, and Gunn's representatives confirmed it. The movie was officially put on hold in October.
"I am tremendously grateful to every person out there who has supported me over the past few months," Gunn tweeted Friday. "I am always learning and will continue to work at being the best human being I can be."
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) March 15, 2019
The stars of the movie -- including Chris Pratt (Peter Quill/Star-Lord); Zoe Saldana (Gamora); and David Bautista, who plays Drax -- have all been vocal in saying they want Gunn back on the project. The stars signed an open letter urging the studio to bring Gunn back. Fan petitions also urged Disney to rehire him.
During the months Gunn spent away from the sequel, he signed on to write a Suicide Squad film for DC. He will stay on with the DC movie, too, with Deadline reporting that Marvel has agreed to let Gunn begin work on Guardians after he finishes Suicide Squad.
And regardless of whether Gunn would've directed Guardians, Pratt said in February that the film would go forward using Gunn's script.
The film was previously said to have a 2020 release date, but there's yet to be confirmation of when the movie will begin production or debut.
CNET has reached out to Marvel for further comment.
Read more about this on GameSpot and ET Online.
CNET's Carrie Mihalcik contributed to this report.
Originally published March 15, 11:12 a.m. PT.
Updates, 11:25 a.m.: Adds confirmation from Gunn's reps; 12:23 p.m.: Includes comment from Gunn.